Thread: perfect songs
View Single Post
Old 03.23.2013, 09:09 AM   #750
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
I believe most of us are sharing songs that we are most familar / comfortable with. Songs that become part of a moment and forever fill a memory. Each of us are confined to our own moments of sound. However, confinement doesn't equal uniqueness.

Well put, but I would like to think that the stories behind why people choose the songs they choose actually are unique, even if the reasoning behind the decision to place the label, and the song itself, are not.

Using Sonic Youth's music as an example: i don't think anyone would look or think twice at someone calling "Teenage Riot," "Expressway to yr "skull" or "Diamond Sea" perfect (though I'm sure there are still plenty of interesting and unique stories behind these choices). But what if someone chose "Winner's Blues" or "Junkie's Promise" or "Society is a Hole?" What about "No Queen Blues," "Or," or "Heather angel?" Great fucking songs, all. But definitely less obvious and less universal choices. There have got to be some interesting stories behind these picks.

(Btw, I happen to think all of those songs are perfect, and I've certainly got my reasons... Not that they're interesting, necessarily, but I'm sure you get the idea: It's the meaning the songs hold for the person, which is likely based on experiences that are unique, even if they're not earth shatteringly exciting.)
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|