View Single Post
Old 04.02.2015, 10:48 PM   #23
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Unless someone said nurse or rather ripped I think any choice of favourite SY is pretty reasonable

Whaaaaaaaaaa?????

First off, you're fucking MAD, friend. Nurse seems to be viewed by many as the "best of ALL worlds" SY album... The one that connected the dots between Bad Moon's scorching post-hardcore, art-punk acid haze, the tense dynamics of the "trilogy" (Evol/Sis/DN), the pop-culture trash act of Ciccone Youth, Goo, Dirty, and the textured layers of controlled sonic chaos that the band achieved in their last decade together.

Nurse is a perfectly acceptable "favorite" Sonic Youth album for anyone who got into the band at any time.

Now, as for Rather Ripped... I know most of us probably jumped on board sometime between Dirty and ATL. A few of us got on the train during the late '80s; fewer still, I imagine, remember the anticipation and nervousness that preceded the release of Bad Moon Rising, their weird ass favorite band's first LP.

It stands to reason, then, that SOME folks who love SY as much as the rest of us, were only first exposed to the band back in 2006. They probably love Sonic Youth every bit as much as the rest of us do. Rather Ripped was a scary album, if you recall: it was pop! It was, like, Dirty/EJST&NS v2.0. Only I think it actually worked better as a true pop record than those albums did. I LOVE Rather Ripped, and I'm a child of the Jet Set/Washing Machine era.

I suppose I can understand how some fans might just not like or care about Ripped, but I'm still stumped about the Nurse comment. If I had to guess, I'd say a poll of all users would rank it in the top 3 albums of the band's career.

WeirdoS
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|