Thread: religion
View Single Post
Old 08.04.2006, 12:07 PM   #119
sonikjuice
little trouble girl

sonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant future
If you didn't believe in god, would feel your life is meaningful? Why do people look to religion in the first place? I would argue that it is to find meaning in their lives.

I don't understand your argument concerning wealth. Are you saying that people with wealth already have meaningful lives and therefore don't need to believe in a god at all? By the way, not everyone believes in the "exact same thing at the exact same time." A lot of people don't believe in god or believe in multiple gods. In addition, why is it that people with some of the most developed/evolved brains (like Nietzsche, Freud, etc..) did not believe in god? Why would god allow our minds to question his existence? (On another note, Tokyo is not a country).

I personally don't know if a god exists or not. I tend to think there is a higher power out there. However, I do not buy the argument that god must exist because a lot of people have believed in a god for a long time. That is ridiculous to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyasa
Perhaps I am. A lot of contradictions abound in arguments where logic is utilized to illustrate abstract notions. When you reach the point where religion is pulled into the fray, I tend to see a blurry distinction between fact and hopeful thinking. Whether this distinction is a purely opinionated viewpoint, or fact; has always been a point of contention for me, especially considering most people will tend to drive their points home without any consideration as to the facts, or value of the facts.

Regarding the post made by sonikjuice, it just sounds to me, as though a situation where people have to imagine a God into existence so as to make their existence bearable, is an intolerable and generally inconceivable situation, especially when you regard the fact that most of the population of developed countries, like America, Britain, Tokyo, et al, are within the middle to upper class wealth percentile. Add to this the fact that organized religion has, as its proponents, the majority of the human race, and I would say that someone or something has got everyone hallucinating the exact same thing at the exact same time. Wonderful achievement, I would say. I wonder who's doing it?
sonikjuice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|