View Single Post
Old 02.12.2011, 02:46 AM   #8
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
"Lossy to lossless". Ain't that a contradiction?

Technically speaking, the MP3s are already lossy. The audio files became "lossy" the moment they were encoded to MP3s, which means certain information was lost in the process. By converting them to .WAV, their properties won't change. The resulting WAV files will sound just as bad (or good) as the original MP3s. If these WAV files are encoded to MP3s once again subsequently, then another quality loss will occur. This means that, if you rip the files from your CD-R that was made from MP3s, and encode the ripped WAV files to MP3s to listen to on your i-pod or whatever, then your new MP3s will have worst quality than the ones you used in the past as the source for making your CD-R. Only then, the quality of those will be degraded.

Someone with more knowledge than myself might prove i'm full of bullshit, though.
i've just A/Bx'd a few mp3s i converted to wav and it seems you're correct. i was under the assumption that converting them to wav would further distort details that weren't present in the mp3 file before, much like taking my avatar and blowing it up to 500x500 pixels or whatever.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|