View Single Post
Old 06.15.2006, 04:30 PM   #18
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by m^a(t)h
I know they are into noise, thats what Thurstons always raving about, thats why Hair Police and Wolf Eyes were on tour, thats why Thurston plays noise with his other groups live, but you dont hear that on a SY record do you? It just wouldnt sell as well. EDIT: and I think RR sounds alot like anything else on the radio. Its not strange or weird at all....

You're correct, you don't hear alot of he same sort of noise on most of the recent SY albums, however they intentionally do not want to do as much noise or atonal stuff nowadays like they did in the early years or like they do now in side projects, and i think this is being confused for "selling out" for they are not necessary doing that (if they did i think they've been getting a hell of alot more record label support...whcih they are not receiving). if they were indeed selling out, who are they conforming to? and to what are they conforming with? i still see them as a unique entity in the musical world and continue to do so. they have developed in a way to further include traditional song structures in their music. what exactly is wrong with that? (i love experimental music, and find most pop music nowadays shitty and uninteresting but i have no problem with it if its done well and an interesting way) Thurston has said repeatedly in recent interviews that they have no interest or intention to break barriers, which is completely fine w/ me.

i just don't quite understand what expectations you have from them.

and btw, guitarist John Fahey used quite a few tunings that included multiple strings in unison (mostly 2 or even 3 strings) for his slide guitar, he was quite the influence on Sonic Youth even early on (besides Branca and Chatham), when he didn't even get close to the popularity in the underground that has been seen in the last 10 or so years... and Fahey is well regarded in alot of Folk/Americana and mainstream cicrcles sicne the 1960's not just in experimental or the avant garde.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|