View Single Post
Old 09.14.2015, 02:42 PM   #43
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Ditto on "Subterranean Homesick Blues" ... I don't know how young I was when I first heard that song, but I must have been pretty goddamn young. Too young to understand most of it. And yet the line "Johnny's in the basement mixin' up the medicine / I'm on the pavement thinking bout the government" lit up my imagination the very first time.

And then
"... You better duck down the alleyway looking for a new friend / The man in the coon-skin cap in the pig pen / Wants 11 dollar bills - you only got 10"

How many instantly quotable lines are in this song? For 1965, this shit was downright dangerous.

Yeah, talking about specifics songs, this would be high on my list. It's a reminder of how vital Dylan was. In my mind, he was neck and neck with the Beatles during this period. Only he embodied something different but equally important. just as the Beatles *were* England, Dylan *was* America, in all its dirt-stained glory.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|