View Single Post
Old 09.29.2016, 06:30 PM   #272
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
I have no idea what other people thought. For me: It's just that Charles is a fine songwriter and has brought me much pleasure in the past and I thought he might do so again. Perfectly reasonable. Pixies got together in, what was it?, 1985 or something. He's written who knows how many great songs since then and I figured he had a new batch of gold. I was wrong.

btw, do you own any Frank Black records? Just wondering

Maybe I'm not accurately representing myself here...
I am a Pixies worshipper. For me, as a young buck, they were the perfect band. My love for them predates even my love for Sonic Youth, and like you, they're brought me endless joy.

I just thought that their return to the studio was a bit ill conceived, with losing Kim and all. But I'd love it if their new music was good. And from what I'be heard of Head Carrier (just the one song), it's definitely not terrible.

So I'm not a hater, not trying to hate, not trying to be judgmental. Surfer Rosa and Doolittle and Come on Pilgrim are some of the most important albums of my life. Same with Trompe. And Bossa to a lesser extent. I'm not rooting against them just because Kim's gone, and I was actually a little excited about the interest in Head Carrier.

Yes, I have several Frank Black solo albums. Used to have more. And while I never really fell for them like I did for the Pixies and the Breeders, I certainly have a few that I pull out from time to time, like Teenager of the Year, Frank Black, Cult of Ray, sometimes Dog in the Sand, Black Letter Days, and even Frank Black Francis.

I think some of the magic went out of the Pixies for me after I saw them live. I wish they'd called it good back in '04. But I'm a Pixies lifer.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|