Thread: Condiments.
View Single Post
Old 10.02.2006, 01:50 AM   #54
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegmama
Alas, no. It's technically a sauce...

"Mayonnaise is a thick, creamy sauce or dressing that is made of oil, egg yolks, lemon juice or vinegar, and seasonings. It's not the same as salad dressing, which doesn't contain egg yolks and is generally sweeter than mayonnaise." http://home.howstuffworks.com/question617.htm

And, I was thinking about your rebuttal of my condiment list- isn't salt and pepper actually considered a spice?!

Hey, and I thought nobody would reply to this thread.

Condiment debates CAN be fun.

I think a spice can be a condiment. Broadly speaking a condiment is something you have on the table to add to a meal. So I suppose you can say any food stuff is a condiment, but TRADITIONALLY, there are only a limited number of condiments that would reach that criteria. And so mayo wasn't included because, although it is now used in the same way as a condiment, traditionally it is a salad additive, ie something you mix in with a salad prior to bringing it to the table. The same goes with sauces.

I'm glad you're giving this as much thought as me Kegmama. I think we should combine our research and do a paper on it.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|