View Single Post
Old 11.17.2010, 03:35 AM   #13190
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses

Wow dude, you trying to destroy your brain for good? After Hana-BI was over for the first time, I literally mouthed, "what... the... fuck." It's one of the only movies to give me a boner, because it was so good. It perfectly encapsulates everything I love about films, filmmaking, life (which isn't much; in fact, I hate life, and this movie sums up my feelings on life, love, happiness). It's so detached, absurd, surreal... without ever being "WHOAAA KRAZY!!!!!!!!!" It has such a weird style..

PLEASE DONT' BLINK. That's important. There are quick, almost-like-an-afterthought scenes of violence. There are these really nutty scenes where a character will do something like light a cigarette and you hear a GUNSHOT as he's lighting.. then it cuts to who actually got shot like 3 seconds later. Just brilliant.

It's a very quiet movie... and then it just EXPLODES... often.

It's such a fucking powerful movie. A force to be reckoned with. At the end, when the music swells and then it changes key from a major to a minor... I was like "oh shiiiii..." and yeah.

Just one of the most powerful, moving movie experineces you will ever have. Unfortunately, it makes most other movies seem disappointing in comparison.

I highly reccomend any Kitano film you can get your hands on, as they're all quite good, but in your case -- since I'm pretty familiar with your tastes -- I really think you'd dig the shit out of Violent Cop (one of the darkest, most nihilistic films ever) and Sonatine as well. If you want to check out some of his more experimental features, get Achilles and the Tortoise, since it's beautiful, brilliant, hilarious.. while still being depressing as hell.

Then, you should download every LONGMONT POTION CASTLE album ever. I found that it's the absolute best thing ever to do a bong rip to and listen to with your girlfirnd.

"Who gave you my number?" ... "Cokey Blaylock."
"Taking a couple steps back, my friend... I'm getting some coaxial flutter on my unit. "

The idea of absurdist prank phone calls is one that appeals to me greatly. I bought an $90 box set of nothing but prank phone calls that this guy released. Just the thought of this dude releasing all these tapes of him yelling into weird distortion pedals and annoying people cracks me the fuck up. He makes life worth living imo.

Yeah, Red Eye was an alright, if tired, thriller but gets so dull and predictable. 13 was tired. Just a boring indie film. I remember when indie meant something.. BROKEN FLOWERS is one of Jarmusch's better films, though I'm not a fan of his style, all in all.. I really don't "get" his films, yet at the same time I can't criticize him at all. You know? He's not bad, I just.. I dunno. MYSTERY TRAIN, his Branded to Kill tribute film GHOST DOG, the excellent Limits of Control, and of course (the wee-bit-too-long) Dead Man -- all cool films. But someting about his stuff just never interests me too much, all in all. His style irks me, but his films are usually alright. I don't like that black and white one with Tom Waits AT ALL though, and I know that puts me in the minority.

But yeah, LIMITS OF CONTROL is a beautiful film, shot in a deadpan style very similiar to Kitano, actually. It actually reminded me of Killer7, even. It was savagely trashed by critics, despite it being his best film by far. Whatever.

i WILL go AHead and say that limits of control gets a rare 10/10 from me. Note the excellent soundtrack, with SUNN

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|