View Single Post
Old 06.22.2010, 03:56 PM   #16
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Good post, a few corrections:

Godard had short films back in 1957. Shadows is actually probably Cassavettes most Godardian -- it's also terrible.

Godard comes from an extremely wealthy family, that's how he can continue to make films even though every single one of his movies has "failed" aside from Breathless and A Married Woman. (I think Contempt might have made a small profit too, and I think Slow Motion did at the time since it was his "comeback" film and heavily advertised as so) Godard also made commercials and television shows which made him tons of money. He mainly just got by on his name.

...Strangely, even though I'd call Jost the American Godard, he is actually a lot like Cassavetes too, in the rambling improvisations and whatnot.

Anyway, I really love Faces because the whole film is talking, I mean it's nearly 3 fucking hours of people screaming and running around. It's brilliant, definitely one of the most important films ever. Killing of a Chinese Bookie is my favorite by him, though, because it's just so fucking WEIRD. It has everything I look for in a film.. the dark atmosphere, the neo noir storyline.. at times, there are moments of true brilliance, and at other times, the whole thing seems terrible and inept, on purpose. It's very strange, and it's actually a bit Godardian too, I guess... But yeah those two directors are pretty much complete opposites, all in all.
atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|