View Single Post
Old 10.30.2013, 10:03 AM   #18030
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
watched linklater's "before midnight" the other day.

had lots of fun watching it, good dialogue, and probably the best marital argument i've ever seen on the screen. (yes, they are not "married" but they are married all they same-- they have a nest & offspring).

one thing that bugged me after the fact though was the céline character talked too much like an american-- i don't mean just julie delpy's accent which obviously has to sound american since she's spent a long time in hollywood, but rather the content of the dialoge-- e.g., the way she humorlessly tries to hang the guy on a pike in front of everybody else at the table, or her annoying preoccupation with her "fat ass." the former is an established american tradition, the latter strikes me as a highly anglosaxon worry, not so much french. am i wrong here? jesse on the other hand is a tried and true american teenager, from the rocket in his pocket to his time machine story.

thing is though, it doesn't matter that the characters are highly imperfect or culturally accurate-- it was the argument itself that had us cackling and saying "oh hell yes, this shit is true life." highly watchable.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|