View Single Post
Old 09.01.2015, 04:35 PM   #18995
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
You're basing too much on a casual remark. 'Goodfellas-lite'? Maybe not. Too specific. 'Scorsese-lite'? Don't see how anyone could argue with that.

severian mentioned he saw it in several places. i've even seen "goodfellas-lite" in portuguese (it's on rotten tomatoes i think). it's a meme, and it's an incorrect one.

but it's not scorsese lite either. i can totally argue with that.

scorsese is a serious man who wanted to be a priest and makes serious movies that usually chronicle some sort of descent into darkness.

david o. russell makes wacky comedies where people escape difficult situations usually by sticking together in spite of various challenges, and loves happy endings.

scorsese's work is *tight*. russell is way more freewheeling and chaotic.

spanking the monkey. flirting with disaster. three kings. i heart huckabees. american hustle obviously belongs with this bunch. it's demented, and funny, and happy ending-- well, not spaking the monkey maybe, but it's demented for sure and funny. the fighter not as funny but same themes, couple survives all kinds of crap, even loyalty to the brother survives family disfunction. silver linings playbook not as funny, but same romantic comedy subject. i actually find him more related to almodóvar than scorsese.

clearly a different kind of auteur. nothing to do with scorsese except in the sense that everyone has to do with scorsese after him. i only remember one scorsese movie about couples, with deniro and meryl streep? they meet on a train or something? can't remember much about that one. definitely not his forte.

like i said, if everything must be a form of goodfellas i wanna be irish butter goodfellas. shit, make me a ham and butter scorsese if i must be a version of scorsese. one needs protein.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|