View Single Post
Old 05.25.2009, 03:18 AM   #6508
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I just call it "a surreal, mind-bending film for people who have yet to watch something genuinely surreal and mind-bending". There's nothing wrong with liking it, I'm not trying to dismiss anyone's opinion here; I can see some good qualities in it. Rather, I can see how it would appeal to other people . But certainly anyone that argues it's "deep" is out of their mind. I know a dude who was obsessed with it, who read books on time traveling and shit just to get to know the movie better. I guess in a way, that's pretty cool. A movie getting a guy to read more is a cool thing. I respect Donnie Darko as an idea, I just have issues with it as a movie. I hated all the characters, the ending was laughable (the "Mad World" scene is so cheesy). Just kind of a silly film. Again, no disrespect to anyone who likes it or anything. I just personally do not...

Well, I loved how they kept counting down between acts without actually saying what they were counting down to. It's also interesting that for a relatively dark story, it's got alot of lighter moments in it-but argueably it would've been completely inpalatable without them...it's guess it's sort of like Nine Inch Nails; if not for Trent Reznor's adolescent ranting, his music wouldn't touch as many fans because it would be too harsh to listen to for a lot of people. It's kind of the point that you don't like the characters; the idea is that everyone's an idiot except Donnie and possibly Gretchen.

One thing that did bother me is that the ending is kinda a paradox because the engine fell on Donnie's room because it was ripped off by the gravitational force of the time portal above Donnie's house. The reason why the hole was created is because Frank's ghost disrupted the space-time continuium (sp?) by leading Donnie out of his home when he was supposed to have been killed...

I don't know; it made me think, it made a lot of people think...and any movie that can do that is a winner in my opinion.