View Single Post
Old 08.04.2007, 08:53 PM   #88
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i got paul's tape, listened to it, now it's review time:

the tape is called I Was The "dj" Tonight and the cover artwork is a formula 1 car mid-explosion, tracklist included as well as contact info.

also of note is that most songs segue into one another with no pause.

side a

1. Jazkamer - Friends Of Satan: from one of my favorite albums of '06, metal music machine, led by all around musical genius, lasse marhaug, and boasting people from all around the norwegian music spectrum, this is a vicious way to start anything, with blastbeats and a wall of feedback, guitar riffs and electronics, fantastic arrangement that shines after a couple of listens and ending with some multilayered screaming. love it.

2. Merzbow - Victoria Crowned Pigeon: at first, i didnñt recognize it as merzbow and it was until like halfway thru that the harshness began, it{s nice to see how masami akita can stretch from his signature sound.

3. Can't - We Are The World: analogue synth noise that breaks in the middle for jessica rylan's characteristic vocalizations, i can't get excited about her but it's a good inclusion in the sequence.

4. Battles - Leyendecker: one of the best songs in mirrored if not the catchiest, been humming that melody for weeks.

5. Autechre - Inhake2: actually, i was taken a back by this one, i didn't think it could be autechre, fairly standard number.

6. Von Südenfed - Flooded: song which gives this tape it's title, and one of the better songs of this collaboration (i though it was quite bad, the tracks with mark e. sounding pretty dire and the songs with more mouse on mars seemed ok but lacking since mark e. doesn't shine; still, it has some fine moments and this is one of them).

7. Tortoise - Adverse Camber: more electronic explorations, this one being interesting.

8. Warlords Of Pez - Clippety Clop: amazing seguing with this one and tortoise's, zany, electronic and pretty awesome.

9. Lee Ranaldo - Fragile: a great rocker from sy's unsung songwriter, he's so good at writing and singing straight up songs, one wonders why he doesn't do it more often and why (arguably) he gives his worse songs to sy albums.

10. Free Design - Can You Tell Me...: the weird part of the tape begins with this child like indie rocker about a certain kids show.

11. Sun City Girls - Give Them The Frequencies: scg in their narrative mode, short, makes me want more girls.

side b

1. Negativland - Happy The Harmonica: the highlight of the weird segment, a radio novel like about old ladies, harmonicas, cats, dogs, songs and insanity.

2. Rollers/Sparkers - Stickshift: a return of the electro, pretty standard number, can't get too excited about it.

3. OOIOO - Eyemix 2: i'm surprised yamatsuka decided to use a fairly by the numbers techno treatment for this remix, i expected more spazz and glitch; thankfully, yoshimi and the girls sing the joy home.

4. Tomahawk - Ghost Dance: from their new anonymous album, a north american indian invocation with guitars and beats swelling and relaxing while patton intones mantra like. kevin rutmanis is definitely missed here.

5. Rollerskate Skinny - Speed To My Side: pop indie guitar music that definitely has older brother kevin shields' influence there; still, they display great songwriting of their own.

6. Melt-Banana - Cracked Plaster Cast: from one of the best albums of the year, one of the best songs, equal parts catchy, well wrtitten song and ultra violent sped up chipmunk psychosis.

7. Young Widows - Glad He Ate Her: this band, with a very good song here, reminds me of someone else, but i can't quite put my finger on it, need to listen to it again.

8. Descartes A Kant - Jesse Lee: love this band, one of the best albums to come out of mexico, ever. spazzy yet catchy and rocking with a little bohemian touch in there. (glad you liked them, paul)

9. Thurston Moore - The Church Should Be For Outcasts Not A Church That Casts People Out: probably the best segue in the whole tape, t's usual skronky guitar work blending perfectly with descartes' own skronky guitar work, making it a sort of coda for jesse lee. a good track to close the tape.

like the tape, will spin it again, not many surprises but that's not such a bad thing.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|