View Single Post
Old 11.12.2013, 07:50 AM   #1351
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Aw c'mon man. Ghost has earned his stripes. Throw the guy a bone. Don't be some kind of militant production nazi. All it would mean is that Ghost would get a title for spending more of the dough, and since he surely has more dough, At this point, I see no harm in it.

Though I can also see Rza wanting to end the legacy (btw: is this really their last album? I had no idea that was already a foregone conclusion, but I'll morn them later) in the exact same way he started it. Wu Tang has always been his baby... He created the sound that stood out among the gangsta rap records that dominated the '90s, while also kind of being part of that very scene. In a sense that makes him something of a counterculture figure in hip hop... But I digress.

Point is, Dre was an amazing producer. Puffy--unfortunately-- is credited with for the definitive gangsta statement, Ready to Die, and Without ever having an entire corporation/mafia to back them up, Wu Tang essentially became the third party hip hop sound of the '90s all because of Rza.

Call him the Ross Perot of hip hop. Actually, don't, but you know what I mean... Maybe. Never mind. Scratch that. I'm just saying the Wu sound is as iconic as the "west coast" '90s sound (or the east coast one- even though Wu Tang was clearly about as NYC as you can get) as a whole, and they were just one fucking group. Twenty years later, Dre may be referenced from time to time, and certain NYC artists from that era (or shortly thereafter) are, of course, now reigning over hip hop like a puppet master, but who's sound is ALWAYS heard in the best new underground rap music? Snoop and Dre? Nas? Jay-Z? With all due respect, fuck no. The only thing all brilliant new emcees and producers seem to agree on is that Wu Tang was, and is, the gold standard for daring and innovative rap music.

Uh... Lost it there. Oh yeah... I can see rza wanting to have complete control over the last will and testament of his life's work. GFK will have more than plenty opportunities to produce should he choose to take them. Maybe everyone should just shut up and let Rza do what Rza does.

But yeah... Only if Raekwon, GFK, and Gza are going to be ruling the mic. That is the way of the Wu.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|