View Single Post
Old 01.04.2008, 10:17 AM   #53
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolthing78
Mmm, I used to kind of feel this way about the album (though instead of "hate," I would just say "one of my least favorite.") But over the past year or so, I've been delving into the SY (and related) things I never "got" before, and learned that it all depends on your state of mind, and how you interpret *their* apparent states of mind and intentions. EJST&NS is just one of many musical moments (along with "Bad Moon Rising," Free Kitten's "Sentimental Education" (the title track of that being pure, unadulterated brilliance), and most recently SYR 5) that I have learned not to write off just because it seems dull, rambling, tossed-off, or whatever. And I hate to sound like you need drugs to truly appreciate some things (because good music should transcend that sort of earthly vice, etc. etc.), but if you get really stoned--you know, where everything seems new and confusing, where you focus intently on every little sound, and consider the thought and inspiration that went into deciding to play it (and put it on record)--you may find yourself rethinking your previous opinions like I did. Then again, maybe not. But, having been my first SY purchase (and I had no idea what to expect), "Sweet Shine" and "Self Obsessed and Sexxee" alone were enough to get me totally hooked on SY for life, so that should say something.

OK./ I will give it a 5th chance.
I will play my copy tonight, after a couple of bong hits, and let you know what happens./