View Single Post
Old 02.01.2011, 08:28 PM   #36
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I think, for me, the weird thing with Avril is that she's got a much, much better voice than nearly every other vocalist I can think of - with people like Namchylek, Galas and orthodox opera sorts excluded. She also (unlike late-Carey or early-Aguilera) produces (arguably) great (pop) songs. What grates with me is that she's treated as if a pop artists shouldn't do what she does. What, exactly, is wrong with co-opting (pop) punk techniques for a popular audience? Do we criticise Blondie after the fact for being popular (or stealing reggae ideas)? VU/ Stooges/ Ramones for being on adverts? B182 for not singing about fucking dogs any more?

Don't like her music - that's fine; what I find odd is criticising a pop artist for being a pop artist and doing pop artist things. Gaga doesn't seem to rile SYG the way Lavigne does - is this because people aren't talking about her as much, or because she goes no-where near the SYG sensibility? Ok, she's stitched into the vulgar end of the 'pop system', but I don't think any post-pubescents believe she's 'authentic' in the way 'we' believe Black Flag [who, personally, I've never liked] to be.

None of this has anything to do with the music, by the by. I'm getting to love the vintage synths on it. SSOOOOOOOOO excited for the new album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|