View Single Post
Old 07.23.2015, 11:18 AM   #18840
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
maybe you're right. It still seems pointless to me. Like I said, I don;t give a fuck about other people's "slice of life" stories. I love symbolism in film but I hate metaphor.

yeah it's not a slice of life though. there is clear exposition and massive drama and tension and confrontation and blam-blam bloody resolution. definitely a clear plot from start to finish.

symbol and metaphor are pretty much the same thing, making one thing stand for another, though technically there are distinctions about how they operate-- association vs. replacement. maybe the divorce is actually a symbol because it stands for a different sort of breakup. anyway it's the same theme, playing at a different level-- river life, city life, each set of players goes through it. hey, even ellis and neckbone split, though they're still friends.

i get it that the movie doesn't speak to you because maybe you have little interest in the interior states of people and their emotions, and prefer ideas that are "outside" of them, but it does not follow that the movie itself sucks. it'rs a really well made movie. even if the subject matter didn't interest me, i'd have to recognize it's just really well made/shot/acted.

sort of like i'm not much interested in champagne but i recognize the skill that goes into making it and quality it can achieve.

"wow this is a really nice bottle of champagne. now where the fuck is the scotch?"
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|