View Single Post
Old 03.19.2013, 09:16 PM   #198
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancykitten
Anyone else surprised by the negativity surrounding Chelsea Light Moving? Almost every review I've read has been indifferent at best, critical at worst.

If these songs had formed the bulk of a new Sonic Youth album I bet they'd have been received differently.

Hmm. I don't think I've read more than 1 explicitly negative review. I think there have only been one or two wholly positive ones, though, so maybe you're right.

But I wouldn't pay a great deal of attention to whatever Pitchfork has to say about it. They seem honor bound to give every Sonic Youth solo album/side project the same kind of non-committal 5.5-6.9 review usually reserved for Pearl Jam love albums and Coldplay records.

Last Sonic Youth-related review I read was of Between the Times & the Tides, which I felt they totally glossed over, thoughtlessly missing nuances and subtleties, and summing up the album in a very "I haven't heard it, but I'll bet I can swing this; deadline's tomorrow anyway!" Kind of way. I really hope they didn't attempt a review of Smart Bar.

Chelsea Light Moving might be the best post-breakup Sonic Youth-related album yet. Maybe even the best sy related non-sy album yet. I can't get enough of it.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|