View Single Post
Old 03.19.2007, 09:30 PM   #33
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Not one that you simply don't like, but one that gives you some kind of weird thrill in totally loathing.

Mine is The Doors, or perhaps more specifically Jim Morrison. The true epitome of the tortured artist = boring self-obsessed asshole. Im reminded of this loathing everytime I meet a Doors fan - surely the most smug, boring species ever to breath.

While I know exactly where you are coming from, and I even believe the Doors to be the most overrated band in the history of rock, I just can't quite hate them. The band themselves were really good musicians, Ray Manzarek even great, and Morrison wasn't always as atrocious as his low points. "Horse Lattitudes" is actually a pretty decent poem, while the record he gets lauded for, "American Prayer" is the most horrid piece of bullshit ever passed off as human thought. Mostly the guy just had lots of sex appeal, and the type that really worked on heterosexual men the most. Perhaps it was his own downbringing.

I used to love hating Pearl Jam, but then it turned out that Eddie V. wasn't the self-obsessed moron I thought he was; that he cares about the right things, is politically pretty cool, and is even good friends with some friends of mine. So now I feel bad about hating them, even though I still do, since after all their music is not only horrible, but brought about even worse imitator bands like Stone Temple Pilots and so on.

I would probably relish hating Nine Inch Nails, except that obviously Trent Reznor would be thrilled to death about how much I hate them and find it to be some sort of affirmation for his self-loathing and all. Of course I still hate them as the group who may rival the Doors in overratedness and Pearl Jam as a horrible permanent influence on "alternative" music, not to mention Reznors general persona of being sort of like Morrisey would be if he thought he was tough, or the incredible disservice he has done by taking once genuine artists like Gary Numan and David Bowie and getting them to try sounding like him to revive their coked out has been careers. But my hate is undoubtedly a reward to him, so what's the point.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|