View Single Post
Old 07.07.2012, 11:32 PM   #115
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
yeah iggy was an interesting personality and showman, but musically?

what unique approach? how is what they did unique?

like, i'm seriously struggling to see what anyone else sees in this band and i've tried for years.

The emotions expressed...boredom, anxiety, sexual frustration, sex as fun as opposed to sex as love, drugs as fun as opposed to drugs as a tool of mind expansion or some other hippie rubbish, were all unique for the time in which they, The Stooges, were expressing them. Sure, some notes were pulled from the Doors...but they tore down whatever doors the Doors themselves wouldn't even venture into. They barely knew how to play. Comparing Ron's more poetic, uber loose, adolescent anger driven blues slop...way different than say, Santana or Hendrix. Sure the scales were the same...but what gives? It's 2012...not much unique about weird time sigs and out of tune guitars, either. Anyone that feels there is is WAY out of tune w/ reality.

AND, if ya ever listen to the full/extended version of Ann...the last several minutes is very comparable to some stuff that wouldn't happen until 10 or so years afterward. Shit is total stoner sludge angst. The bass line slowed down a bit more wouldn't be too far off from what Sunn are doing. And Ron's playing, here, is some of the freest most insane shit I've ever heard. Blues or not...shit is free. Totally improvised, totally non-pretentious. They wanted success, but always knew deep down they weren't getting it...this, allowing themselves to venture into concepts they knew wouldn't be popular.

But beyond any of this, even what I've mentioned above (mostly...) boils down to my personal feelings on the subject. I don't give a fuck what one listens to, and feel caring too much about the musical taste of others is rather adolescent. Especially when one attempts using these sort of things as an insult. Really, who gives a fuck? Seriously? You care that damned much? I doubt you do. In the same way, the last thing on my mind is whatever, likely "shit" in my opinion, music you listen to in your free time. It's just entertainment.

I just personally feel the Stooges are a very important band. They have been for me. Who cares?