Thread: Beethoven
View Single Post
Old 03.24.2006, 04:35 PM   #7
saoq
bad moon rising

saoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to beholdsaoq is a splendid one to behold
favorites:
Sonata 14 - ''Moonlight'' 1st movement
5th - all parts, esp. 2 and 3
7th - allegretto
string quartet No.15 Cmoll op.131
-his cello-piano works

about the first one, the moonlight sonata. I consider it one of the strongest works of art made, ever. I can't really listen to it often - too intense.
Some say it's inspired by a death of a friend, others by an unshared love.
For me it's a piece about being here, mortal and unable, not unable to do this or that, but unable on the whole, without chances, and still, not falling into dispair. Or better it's about sedately celebrating after having experienced the abyss; yeah there's a sort of calmess here that's not oblivious, but knowing. It stems from where ''and death shall have no dominion'', to say, without any tremor, the opening - and repeated and ending- yes from the last Ulysses chapter.
An struggling affirmation - not a pathetic acceptance - of mortality and finitude (finiteness? anyway i mean Endlichkeit), that's what it is for me.
saoq is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|