View Single Post
Old 09.18.2008, 06:24 AM   #24
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
I never liked it and I love everything else the band did. This seemed forced and unnatural despite their effort to include worthy covers. The covers don't live up to the originals at all though, and it has damaged a great Bowie song that everyone under 35 seems to think it's a Nirvana original now.

In Utero trounces all over this because it feels like the band doing what they really did well. If liking it because it sounds awesome and has the best developed songs makes me a hipster, so be it, but the definition of "hipster" just got pretty questionable upon my inclusion!

After that Bleach, though it should have been an e.p. ("Paper Cuts", "Negative Creep", "Love Buzz", "Blew", "About a Girl", and "School" would really have been enough). This is still my favorite phase of the group and the one I experienced live many times in tiny clubs, I just always felt like the first record was padded beyond the brilliant songs listed above to make it full length.

I prefer Incesticide to Nevermind, but the later is still a good record and decent representation of the band if you throw out the obvious concession of "Come As You Are".

My feeling is the band was just too young to be doing a live acoustic set and having it come off as anything but "The boss told us to do this..." If Kurt hadn't killed himself, after as many albums as they already did and just as much time in between them, it might have been time to consider an acoustic live venture. Or maybe a while longer after that.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|