View Single Post
Old 01.28.2016, 08:43 AM   #157
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I gotta tell you, I really don't understand this trend...

Rihanna's new album dropped today. None of the 3 singles she released leading up to it are on the album. This seems like the new norm. It makes no (business) sense to me. Maybe that is because when we all grew up singles were promotional devices... to sell your album. A music video was a commercial - for your album. So your singles were on your album. That made sense, right?

But more and more it seems to just not be normal anymore. Go back to 2008/2009. Weezy put out "Hot Revolver" which was a single for Rebirth. It had the rock/rap sound. It would have fit on the album both thematically and minutes-wise. Baffling it was left off the final album. Yet was included on IANAHB2 years later. Why?

What about Drake's YOLO song? Same deal.

Maybe the worst offender was The Game's Red Album. What did he put out? 5 or 6 singles for that thing that didn't end up on the album? (Although the history of that album is a crazy mess... I mean he ended up dropping like 5 mixtapes of outtakes material just from those sessions...)

But anyway, my point is just I don't get this new way of doing things. Artist puts out a song. You like it. The album comes out and that song isn't on it. How does that help record sales?