View Single Post
Old 06.05.2016, 08:25 PM   #139
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
but the thing is, they were never even remotely interesting. their sample usage was perfunctory and a gimmick at best -- there was no flipping a la hip-hop, it was just ripped wholesale and stuck together into songs which had boring structures and no new melodic content. also their music plain sounds like shit. sample based music in its genesis was dangerous, and at this point there are so many artists operating out there who make really adventurous music with samples. the avalanches seem antithetical to the whole culture -- the aim isn't to use cultural artefacts to perform straight up mimesis, it's to invert them.

and can you honestly not see that you're complicit in this culture of devaluing music by placing it in extramusical narratives? mbv wasn't a 'comeback' record, it was the third my bloody valentine lp. same with that last boc record. stuff doesn't have to be engaged with in this cold, journalistic manner -- it's fucking music, just listen to it and respond to it in that sense. every single time a new record comes out you go "AOTY, this is going to be in my top 5 yasssss", "can't wait to hear from these guys, they put out a great record 15 fucking years ago yassssss", "my list is overstuffed but yay for music yassssss" when these records are all part of this completely idiotic fabricated canon of 'alt.culture'?? I mean to go up a bit...listening to haino is to be involved exclusively in the music -- there's no gimmick, no wider concept to be gleamed, you're just inhabiting the space with an individual for a period of time. that is explicitly in opposition to this sense of spectacle you're so enamoured by, it's truly ridiculous and makes me feel that you don't like dealing with anything unless it is situated in the fucking doctrine of 'indie culture', it's actually quite depressing...I feel like you think you're under some sort of pressure to like everything at the expense of actually engaging with music in any tangible way.

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|