View Single Post
Old 04.02.2012, 02:11 PM   #32
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
I was just listening to this yesterday. I absolutely love it

I heard he's been working on painting lately and has no devotion to making films anymore. At least not until he "gets the ideas". Here is a recent interview of his with a slideshow of some of his artwork

http://www.artinfo.com/news/story/76...-new-paintings
He has always been a painter or graphic artist to a large degree outside of his work as a filmmaker, but you are right in the sense that he is focusing on it a lot lately. There is an exhibition of his work at Tilton Gallery in New York City these days. Really beautiful, abstract combinations of drawings and sculpture, somewhat primitive but enriched with textures and even attached lightbulbs.

I wouldn't think of "lack of devotion" as the right term to refer to his possible reasons for being absent from filmmaking. Quite the contrary, perhaps. As you posted, he has mentioned in several recent interviews that he hasn't made a new film on the basis that he is waiting for the arrival of the right idea and dose of inspiration to start working on a new one. It's evident that he doesn't want to (or can't) re-visit old possibilities that had huge potential and interest from certain part of his followers, and would rather do something new at this point whenever he considers it's the right time. In a sense, this isn't really strange considering that he always takes long intervals of time in between films. For years it was rumored that his next film would be "Ronnie Rocket", but apparently the difficulties to find financial support to make it happen, plus the complications to find the appropriate cast have finally vanished every possibility. Still, I'm sure we haven't yet seen David Lynch's last ever film. He is constantly interested in many disciplines, and constantly working, whether at making music, sculpting and drawing, and even creating some really nice pieces of furniture; so as long as he is active, I think it's just a matter of time before he gets interested and involved in creating (hopefully) another masterpiece for the celluloid.

Furthermore, I'm thankful that there is plenty of interesting stuff going on in regards to David Lynch and his past and present work. I was so happy when it was announced last year that Chrysta Bell's album, "This Train", which took a long time to be produced, was finally going to see the light of day. It was a perfect masterpiece to me. As senseless as it may sound, I do actually like it even more than I do David Lynch's "Crazy Clown Time", though that's not to say the latter is a flawed album. Both are great. In a time when mr. Lynch is really interested in promoting Trascendental Meditation as a way to improve the lives of anyone who cares to dive in, it just makes me really glad that his drive to create good stuff has remained intact and that such ideas aren't the only thing we got these days from him. I also find really exciting those upcoming projects born out of the fascination with David Lynch: Both "It's A Strange World-The Filming Of Blue Velvet", and "LYNCH Three Project" should be really awesome.