View Single Post
Old 09.11.2006, 01:04 PM   #88
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Kids don't know how to rebel any more? I think that's cack. Not because it's untrue of this generation, but because it implies there was a generation that did rebel. Kids still don't get on with their parents. Kids still resist their parents. In terms of a 'culture' of 'rebellion', kids will always believe that their generation is resisting the older generation, which they always do. The problem is that 'rebellion' is always part of being a stupid teenager, rather than a genuine thing. For all the first generation British punks I know, not a single one held true to its 'revolutionary' ethos. All the ex-hippies I know have short hair and 4x4's. The idea that any generation ever had anything other than a fake revolution is ridiculous to me.

No offence and all that, but I think it's such a risible sentiment, 'kids don't know how to rebel any more'.

I don't know who the powers that be are when it comes to naming of generations like the Baby Boomers, Generation X, and "Echo Boomers." Also, I suspect that these terms primarily apply in the United States. Moreover, the traits associated with each generation primarily describe the higher-achievers academically and in society...beginning and future careerists.

Naturally, there are all kindsa problems with stereotyping entire groups of people based on what years they were born, but sociopolitical factors that shape the trends of the many are indeed real. And surely they're different in the UK.

A trait of "Echo Boomers"--born since 1985--that these powers have emphasized is that young people try hard to please authority figures, by and large. That doesn't mean everyone. There are still individualists. Perhaps as many as there were in 1967 or 1977. But it's the pack that's more or less the same as the rest of the pack.

We're generally not talking about your typical Sonic Youth fan.

As I've stepped into the role of an authority figure for young people, I have noticed this to be true, pretty much.

The theory as to why this has happened is because American parents have tried to occupy their kids' lives with so much scheduled activity, and they have become more and more sheltered. School has always operated by a schedule, but now many kids are engaged in more and more extracurricular activities--even from infancy (witness the rise of the term "play-date")--which require added scheduling.

When I lecture these days, younger students take notes so well! But they hardly ever engage in class discussion...especially, they almost never ask a question. Meanwhile, my older students are less into note-taking and show more of a willingness to get involved in discussion, ask me for clarification, and actually impeach certain points I make. Sometimes, I hafta ask the young students to put their pens down and just listen to me present an idea, and then ponder that idea. The young students look uncomfortable doing that, and older students are right at home.

So it's not surprising that even though music is available in a self-serve fashion on the internet including easy-to-find portals into world's of deep obscurity and flavors for every particular taste, there is still a very successful mainstream for so-called rebellious youth which appeals to such a low common denominator. Comparing the tamest of today's "indie rock" to the best of independent rock music as we have done in this thread brings us to the consensus that it sucks.
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|