View Single Post
Old 04.01.2006, 09:17 PM   #5
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
OK, here goes:

100%: When I listen to this track, I remember that for me, Dirty is a headphones album. Maybe my stereo sucks, but it is imperative that I really get a feeling for the two guitars in the left and right channels, so I use headphones. 100% is a great start for an album. Most of the interest is in the two guitars noodling back and forth up to the point where Thurston stops singing. Really good song.

Swimsuit Issue: This song has some beautiful guitar textures that are somewhat ruined by Kim's vocals, so I usually ignore the lyrics here. Should have been left an instrumental.

Theresa's Sound-World: cool song. I like the interplay between Thurston's vocals and the guitar playing in the verses. And the two guitar bulidups are great, especially the second one(like Stiles said). Once again, it's about texture and not really about notes. This time, it's the different textures created by the guitars + the bass, not just just the two-guitar interplay.

Drunken Butterfly: I like this song a lot more than Swimsuit Issue. Maybe it's because of the little puppet music video on the Corporate Ghost DVD. I like Kim's vocals, but I ignore what she's saying. I wish it wasn't so easy to understand her. But this song really shows how far SY has come by this point in controlling all of the different noises they make and utilizing them so effectively.

Shoot - it's OK, I guess. I usually skip this song. But every SY song has something awesome in it. The part right before she yells "shoot" is neat. And the end is cool, after Kim stops singing.

Wish Fullfillment - Lee's vocals are always a little soothing, but I don't like the vocal melody in this song. There are also some pretty cheesy chord progressions here. Not as good as Mote or Eric's Trip or either of the Karen songs.

Sugar Kane - Hard to find anything wrong with this song. The opening is genius. And I really like Thurston's vocals here. Even the words. I like the Mary Christesque guitar squealing in the middle. And then it is great when the music from the verses comes back. I think it would have been better if Thurston hadn't started singing again. They should have ended it like Dirty Boots - just instrumental.

Orange Rolls, Angel Spit: the instrumental in the middle is cool. Almost reminds of something off of Evol. I like Kim's screaming on this one and the way it is broken up by those funny La La La's.

Youth Against Fascism: this song has an annoying riff, but I always thought they were making a song intentionally as annoying as the stuff Thurston's singing about. I could be wrong, I don't know. Not a highlight. Why would he repeat "It's the song I hate" over and over again, if he isn't trying to be annoying on purpose.

Nic Fit: I don't hate this. Actually, it's a pretty funny impression, but maybe a little out of place.

On The Strip: This song is a hidden gem and for me, this is where the album really starts to get good. About 2:40 in, the song has an awsome instrumental part with a sort of chainsaw bass rumbling up and guitar strumming mixed with some kick-ass drumming. A unique texture not really heard anywhere else in SY and it resolves nicely back into Kim's singing. And then the end is beautiful.

Chapel Hill: Great song. The middle instrumental part is awesome. There are some short snippets of guitar solos, which is odd for SY.

JC - best Kim song on the album. Gorgeous intro, one of the best. Great vocals and lyrics. And the end flowering into noise is scrumptious.

Purr - probably the best song on the album. Lyrics are cool, music is great. I really like the part at about 2:28. Kick-ass.

Créme Brûlèe: an out-of-tune goofing off ending, which is fine. Seems to work.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|