Thread: Noise is.....
View Single Post
Old 04.10.2006, 02:03 PM   #62
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Yep, you're pretty much spot on Noumenal. And yeah, I'm not going to get a decent discussion on noise here or most other places on the internet. However, I'm adressing my own frustration more than anything else. I'm well aware that noise musicians don't like to talk about their music in anything other than 'it just is' type terms. What frustrates me is that noise is an incredibly diverse and interesting field which is always given a very short shrift, either by its adherents refusing to mount a defence (which spills into relativistic nonsense) or by its detractors accusing people of pretentiousness, the 'emporers new clothes' argument. I understand that people don't want it talked about in intellectual terms, but we all respond to things in different ways, and I'm not going to stop typing intelligent/ malicious/ crap humour things here because I happen to quite enjoy it.

The problem is that when the 'pretentious' word is used, it really, really gets my back up. And makes me want to savage children. Because it's generally said by dillentantes with nothing worthwhile to offer the world who don't understand and refuse to try to understand things that are beyond their meagre little minds (this is directed in no particular direction).

And, returning to specificity, part of the interest in music is always where it sits in a wider context, how it is reflective of the world. Fair enough, there is a lot of prolix thrown at noise as an art project, and a lot of it is vacuous guff... however, noise is an important feature of our musical world, and unless it is discussed, and it is established in some way, it will never be anything more than a foot note to the late 20th Century.

Gah. I should've got out of the right side of bed this morning instead. That would've been a better idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|