View Single Post
Old 03.29.2015, 12:35 PM   #3853
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
well, I don't give up on books very readily, and especially if there is something there once in a while, but Against the Day was an exception. From the beginning, with the adventures of the purile "balloon boys" gang, it failed to hold much interest for me. The middle was a slog, like the Afghanistan war, just unending dust and harsh, jarring changes of plot. I put it down for a couple of weeks and came back at page 890 with 200 more to go to find these awful unerotic sex scenes and revenge violence mixed in with his unending descriptions of womens clothing. Festishistic, and not in a good way. After Mason Dixon and his other works, this was a real failure. So little humor, such poorly drawn characters. I've tossed it and started on Rupert Everett's Erasure, which has given me, in the first 25 pages, more than ATD did in almost 900. A real relief to drop it.
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|