View Single Post
Old 09.04.2011, 11:06 AM   #41
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Funny, one of my best friends is Bosnian. She doesn't like coffee though.

It's not a case of improving things - it's a question of perversion. The Balkans are particularly porous with that sort of thing, so you get these really odd mixes of (say) rembetika/ klezmer in something like modern sevdah. Most countries in the world have no problem borrowing mutating traditions; when the west does it (by which I mean Anglo-America), it's often 'patronising'. Odd, but I understand why people think like that.

i think the balkan issue is tricky,mainly i'm saying that becaanduse of that beirut guy getting all kinds of positive publicity and people saying he sounds like insane gypsy wedding in russia

russians don't make music anything like south europeans, nor does beirut.

i think the only reason it bothers is because as a balkanian i would never get anything but a dirty look playing a trumpet at cool indie girls, but beirut says he does it, while playing dancey rhythms slowly in 4/4 with no ornamentation, and he's like, in tune with cultures nobody cares about and that makes him hot.

i think maybe that's the patronising part , because people who don't know what they're talking about have success with appropriation, while a foreigner who actually travels to places and knows how to play the music, leads to a lifetime of nobody giving a fuck.

is venezuela cool? i'm actually broke and pulling a beirut might work out, i'm sure, at least my friend said they have the most exotic music ever so i'm sure i could simplify a line and make it seem cool to people who will never willingly listen to anything that's not in english

also most people in the balkans who aren't musicians(these people rarely care unless they were indoctrinated by nationalist-communist music schools.) will actually threaten to kill you or insult yr intelligence(you can watch a documentary if you like where some professional musicians speak intelligently, and lots of hillbillies react to cultural questions with violence) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18t0yNFWAWY

it's actually pretty hilarious how the musicians will learn stuff from others and generally not care where people are from

but people arguing about music they don't listen to can cause a hate crime in a second, i don't know of a more begrudgingly incestuous group of cultures beyond the ottoman part of europe exists, i kinda hope not although they would probably be equally funny in small doses

actually jamaicans have told me many times that soca is the music of devil so maybe that's an equivalent
keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|