View Single Post
Old 02.13.2017, 04:54 PM   #7963
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
you're conflating 2 separate issues though

one is the german 50+1 member ownership rule

the other is the UEFA financial fair play stuff

what you're talking about changing the landscape of sports (chelsea, formula 1) is big money injections from businesses and investors. as it applies to german football that's covered the UEFA rules and it's not just a german issue. applies also to the prem, la liga, serie a, etc.

the german thing about 50+1 member ownership is different though. these are actual sports clubs, with recreational facilities, multisports teams, and people who go there to practice them--not just providers of spectacle.

e.g, bayer clubs: https://www.bayer.com/en/clubs-sport...bby-bayer.aspx

while wolfsburg or leverkusen have been derided for their close business ties, both are clubs that were founded by the factory workers a long time ago. this is why leverkusen can use the name "bayer" without running afoul of regulations.

the issue with RB as far as i can tell has to do with the purpose of the "club" is not to serve its members but to promote a brand. so it has limited membership and only in the face of external pressure has relented to add members which aren't controlled by the red bull company. so it's effectively a branch of the business, not just related to/founded by/any of that. and they do only the minimum required to keep within the rules--basically, exploiting loopholes.

but again, this is independent of UEFA financial regulations that oversee big money injections. this is about team ownership per german rules, which don't apply to, say, serie A, where clubs like ac. milan can be bought and sold by investors from berlusconi to chinese conglomerates, but still are subject to UEFA rules.

RB are doing something different and it evidently isn't illegal. If whatever they're doing becomes successful, I can see other teams trying to mimic them. But admittedly I am basing that on the far less hostile reaction to corporate ownership amongst fans here. Not that there's a team in the Prem that functions quite like RB but he culture around the Prem is far more cynical than may be the case in Germany. I'd say most fans here would embrace almost anything if they believed it'd bring real success.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|