Thread: John Fahey
View Single Post
Old 04.03.2008, 01:10 PM   #13
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Also, on the subject of Sir Richard Bishop, does anyone know how to get the sound he gets? Is there certain scales to practice or tunings to practice? How do you get a "Middle Eastern" sound out of an acoustic guitar?

From http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/...p/oct-07/32097 :
Quote:
On “Rub’ Al Khali” your guitar sounds very oud-like. How did you get that vibe?
I was definitely going for the oud sound. I can’t remember the exact tuning, but I remember it being an open-C tuning, because the low E string would have to be tuned down to at least C to get that deep, oud-like tone. As far as the scales and modes I used, I have no idea. I don’t think or play in those terms—at least not consciously—and certainly not with some made-up tuning. I’ve listened to enough Middle Eastern music to be able to pick out a few notes that I know will work, and then I just improvise around them.