View Single Post
Old 10.03.2006, 08:57 PM   #50
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunberg
SY a second rate Wilco !! You have to be kidding me!! Some people just seem to be pissed that SY can actually offer interesting music with elaborate structure ( not just your verse chorus verse stuff). What you call excess baggage is for me what makes it(SN) a good record : the multiple intertwining melodic lines, the long musical development is the work of true craftsman that envisage the song as a whole and not just one melodic hook + several clichéd development (Incinerate baby !!). I see no link with post rock at all, SN owes more to jazz(unmade bed, i love you golden blue, peace attack) and punk(Pattern recognition, Mariah...).

Rather ripped is cohesive and propulsive but ultimately it lacks mystery; Every song (a part from Jams run free and Rats ) is so damn predictable, which is the last thing SY qualfiies for.

You read my mind. I was going to say something similar when I read that post. With Jim, the songs were so complex and well put together. They were truly masterpieces. Now, the songs are less complex and are more predictable (but I still like them). That's probably why RR sounds like it does; because Jim is not there. That's not to say that SY can't make complex songs as a four piece. A Thousand Leaves and Washing Machine have some amazing songs, some of which it is amazing to think that only four people are playing. I'm not saying that I want Jim back but that he helped a lot. SY kick ass as a four-piece.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|