View Single Post
Old 10.01.2015, 09:40 AM   #19097
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
you are describing every single experience I have had with Godard films....

normally we disagree a lot on movies but here i don't blame you

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I don't mind his 1st few films, but even with those, he always seemed like he was trying a bit too hard, a bit too keen to impress. Although if there's one film from that period that I do really like, it's Le Mepris - but even with that, the things I like most about it are probably its least Godardian. Either way, everything else I can take-or-leave, at best, and I pretty much gave up on him altogether after the 70s.

yeah le mépris i really love as well, mostly for the great cinematography and fritz lang and let's admit it, brigitte bardot. oh, and jack palance as the ugly american! even though the ending is a bit facile, right? kinda like a kid's wishful-thinking revenge.

[ETA - rereading about this i had forgotten the whole ulysses/penelope/poseidon thing which is so very well done and why i loved that movie so much from the first time i saw it. just brilliant. a masterpiece.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Okay, I take it all back. Here's a chunk of Woody Allen in Godard's KING LEAR. Hilarious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VJP43eAnQE

i watched the beginning and the usual godard noise-over-dialogue (it's like real life! or something...) was grating (as usual). then came the "clever" title cards and i hanged up. does woody stay after the "clever" title cards?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|