View Single Post
Old 07.15.2015, 12:35 AM   #4042
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i got really busy and have been traveling a bit lately looking for a new house-- funny thing about travel, i took the book and never had a chance to read it.

just got back home today though, with most problems fixed for a bit. should take a few days off to just relax and yes, read.

one thing i should tell you i noticed about her though-- writing workshops preach a lot of "show, don't tell" as the absolute rule of fiction. in her case, i love how she tells, but not too crazy about how she shows (a lot of unnecessary detail-- and yes, it paints a picture, but also distracts and wastes energy).

some people should break the prescriptions and just do what they do best. tell--and tell more.

anyway, tomorrow i'll pick up where i left off and without much to do i should be able to really get into it.

I think I know what you're getting at. But remember, it's a bit of an unfolding mystery. Like, all of it. Believe me, when she "shows", she fucking well shows. And I, being a fan of big picture theological science fiction writers like Gene Wolfe and William Gibson, LOVE that she leaves so much of the detail to the reader's imagination.

You'll see- the characters really come across about as well as one could possibly expect for a story of that length with so many important players involved. You get to know each character intimately. And secrets that are hinted at unfold at a sometimes glacial but ultimately highly rewarding pace.

When the big picture comes together, as it finally does, it's quite a story. And the good news is that the pieces come together in one novel, unlike Gene Wolfe who can stretch his grand mysteries into 12 novels spanning three series.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|