View Single Post
Old 02.21.2009, 10:28 AM   #25
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
There's always a place for nostalgia: old blokes playing Acker Bilk at summer fetes, those 'Back to '88' Raves, things like that. They're fine so long as they're taken for what they are. Then there's band like Witchcraft who go all out simply to replicate a by-gone era for a modern young audience that seems to want contemporary music simply to replicate what they perceive as a kind of Golden era. For these people I suspect that nostalgia isn't just a comfy stroll through a certain yesteryear (that most of them would've never actually experienced) but a corrective to what they perceive as the cultural ills of their own time. It's that same mindset that I think makes bands such as Monster Magnet so appealing to certain people: a kind of unconscious desire for music to get back to a time when bands did things supposedly 'properly'.

I always think the important thing is the tunes. I don't like Witchcraft or Monster Magnet, but then I don't like the bands they're copying. This song, meanwhile, is very obviously copying a style and an era, but it's a cracker.
This one, as well, I couldn't abide it at first, but it is a fucking blinder, regardless of how obvious a Motown rip-off it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|