View Single Post
Old 03.16.2012, 04:13 AM   #175
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by muttlegs
I agree that first impressions are different to a more considered opinion after giving the vinyl a few spins. I streamed the LP on Rolling Stone and to me it sounded a bit dad rock.
I think like many people I expected a bit more of an angular approach but it sounds very traditional. The fact the picked 'Off The Wall' as the first track is has wrong footed people as it does have a lot more SY in it than the majority of the album. The SY style of that track is I am sure why it was picked.
Some people seem under the impression that Lee tracks were shunned in the band and this album is an opportunity for him to free himself of those shackles.
Expecting an album of all new songs in the vein of all of the ones he has written through the years was always gonna end in tears.
I will get it anyway and judge it on its own merits outside of SY.
Maybe he needs the others to be SY Lee anyway?

I think itīs quite common when musician get older he makes more traditional style music. And I think thatīs ok as long as there is creativity in it and at least freshness. I can understand the young people whom the music is not the most important. Itīs more that musician can be sort of the object of identification. And then you donīt want to listen anything that reminds your dad. But to me music has always been the most important. When I was young, I listened for example Pink Floyd, Genesis and Yes (I was young in the eighties) and altough I liked the most of their seveties material, I also listened a lot their eighties material. And they were then at the age of my dad. There were only few years after that when I found punk and speed metal, but I still continued to listen prog along those new styles. So to me "dad rock" has never been problem.

I think it is very natural Thurston and Lee sound at the age of their own. I think it would be very unnatural if they will sound like they were still twenty years old. But in the other hand it donīt always mean you become serene when you get old. I was really suprised last year when I heard Nomeansno last album. I really wondered, how the men at the age of fifty could make so aggressive and rage music. But on the other hand if you compare their second album Sex Mad and that newest one, there is such maturity in the "All Roads Lead to Ausfahrt" that is not in the sex mad.

I am really irritated about the many people here seem to think getting old is the same getting boring.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|