View Single Post
Old 05.17.2019, 06:18 PM   #107
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhb
I mentioned in an earlier comment that both Kid A and 13, as well as a handful of other albums from a 2-3 year span, have similar themes of disintegration, alienation, anxiety in the face of increased individualism, at the same time a loss of identity in an increasingly mechanised and computerised world, a general kicking against Fukuyama's 'end of history', even a sense of a lost utopian era as conceived by Derrida and Mark Fisher. That's why some have suggested that Kid A captures the zeitgeist of the post 9/11 world, even though it came out beforehand... this stuff was in the air well beforehand.

I think Kid A and 13 are similar only in that they’re hard-left pivots by established British rock bands. Both records kind of challenge you to like them, and don’t make it easy on people looking for more of what the bands had done before.

I do think 13 is up there with the Kid As of the world.

Paranoiac meditations on electronic era tensions, rendered in song. But what Kid A owed to Aphex Twin, Autechre and Brian Eno, 13 owes to DJ Shadow, Iggy Pop and Spiritualized. (Shrug)
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|