View Single Post
Old 11.07.2013, 03:30 PM   #3238
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
America doesn't seem to, the UK doesn't. In fact I suspect most of Europe wouldn't. Asia may do but that's it.

The Cultural Revolution in most schools, be it the US or Europe, tends to be around 10th/11th grade World History, post-World War II sections, usually in the context of discussing aspects of the Cold War. There is also usually World History in 6th/7th grade, but the Cultural Revolution is a bit intense for middle-school kids so its not always part of the formal curriculum frameworks.

here are the standards where I teach in California..
http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/docum...socscistnd.pdf (pg 46, 10.9:4)

here is another chosen at random..

http://www.ksde.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=esCgbNTivg8%3d&tabid=171 5&mid=12309&forcedownload=true (Page 8, "Cold War and Beyond")..

Its in plenty of international curricula, though its up to the individual teachers for in-class emphasis. In other words, I agree with you but disagree. The framework is already in place, but I agree with you that more teachers need to emphasize this in their day-to-day implementation of the dense curriculum.

Quote:
Secondly, history is pretty long so it's not a bad thing to focus on a few key events. Especially events relating to your own country, by that I mean within schools teaching.

Agreed, but how should we assess students on this? It is A LOT of information for "standardized tests" and when you fly through the year, in fact, think about all thirteen as a process, A LOT of details get lost in the process. We ask a lot from our kids today, probably WAY more then even moderately well-educated parents might now. I'm willing to wager that over 60% of the parents of my students would NOT pass my class, but think they would because they passed their own history classes 20 years previous.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|