View Single Post
Old 01.08.2009, 09:05 PM   #305
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
this is exactly the point, how many of their hardcore fans would buy the vinyl if it wasn't released before the CD?
MANY

They are buying the vinyl because it is the only thing available, and then they will buy the CD once that is released, if the CD came before the LP do you think the LP would have sold out its first pressing in a week?
PROBABLY

Would MTV have written a news story about the album breaking the top200 if it wasn't vinyl only?
I DON'T KNOW AS I DON'T FOLLOW MTV, BUT IF THE CD HAD BEEN RELEASED AT THE SAME TIME, I THINK THEY WOULD HAVE BROKEN THE TOP 40 SALES FOR THE WEEK, SO MTV MAY HAVE WRITTEN ABOUT THAT

Would casual listeners, or anyone who reads MTV news have heard about this new release if it wasn't for MTV covering it?
THAT DOESN'T MATTER AS THERE IS NOTHING FOR THEM TO PURCHASE NOW, ALSO MOST PEOPLE WHO READ MTVNEWS PROBABLY DON'T CARE MUCH ABOUT BANDS THEY DON'T KNOW AND PROBABLY DON'T SEEK OUT MUCH DIFFERENT MUSIC ANYWAY

I'm not making a big deal out of it, I think this was a simple PR stunt to generate interest for animal collective's new record as they seem to be getting to that point where they can maybe sell a few records to people who listen to mostly mainstream stuff and a tiny smattering of independent, people who have slightly more adventurous tastes than average, but to whom The Trail of The Dead (for example) are pretty radical stuff.
I Dont know if it was pr or not, i think it was fan response. we knew they had it available and it was mostly to reward the hardcore fans who were going to pre-order anyway. once the cd is released and casual fans who buy magazines read about it, then we'll see true sales numbers. What I think this vinyl sales thing demonstrates, is that AC has more "hardcore" fans than most other indie bands out there, and our enthusiasm is breaking into the indie mainstream... AC is not there yet, and I hope they never get there, but they are heading towards Radiohead levels

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|