View Single Post
Old 01.21.2017, 11:02 AM   #12
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSoulsby
Why no Sonic Youth? Because I feel their releases have been well-covered but the records charting Thurston's real evolution and development as a player, where the majority of his releases and interest has been for at least two decades, has been almost entirely passed by. An alternative history.

I can appreciate the logic behind this, and it's true that Sonic Youth's discography has been the subject of many literary musings over the years. But I still think Thurston's recording history with Sonic Youth was an integral part of his growth and evolution as a player, and while I can understand not wanting the SY albums to steal the show, I can't really think of a feasible argument for omitting them completely.

Also, I think a lot of the published writing on SY had been pretty shit. Goodbye 20th Century was interesting, but also not very good. So I'd welcome some discussion of the SY albums. Even as a sidebar, separate from the main chronology of the text. Sort of a "Meanwhile, in Sonic Youth land..." kind of thing. But hey, maybe when the for the second edition.

Anyway, thanks for commenting.

I actually checked into LiveNirvana a few times, long ago. I don't really recall the atmosphere, but I feel like it was less, ah, torturous and full of assholes than the average Nirvana fan site.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|