View Single Post
Old 06.05.2011, 11:35 AM   #259
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
After briefly "skimming" through the songs for the first time, I wasn't that eager to listen again. My first impression was that this would be TOTA part 2, and I wasn't that crazy about TOTA on the whole, although it had some fine moments. There are even moments on this record that sound a lot like specific songs from TOTA or other SY records. For example, Illuminine reminds me of Frozen Gtr (one of the few songs from TOTA that I really like). The first vocals on Circulation sound like those from Wonderful Witches. And there's a moment on Orchard Street that recalls Self Obsessed and Sexxee.

But when I finally gave this record a fair and thorough listening, I realized that this is the record that TOTA should have been. The songs and production are far better. Blood Never Lies and In Silver Rain with Paper Key are just beautiful. Especially the vocals on Blood Never Lies. It tears my heart out. Circulation is amazing. If we could "steal" Silver>Blue and maybe a couple others from TOTA and put them on this record, it would be perfect. I'm very happy that Thurston recorded this!