View Single Post
Old 09.18.2009, 04:28 PM   #13
barry swedgin
bad moon rising

barry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's assesbarry swedgin kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark

NUMBER GIRL "SAPPUKEI"
Toshiba EMI, 2000

Mixing elements of post-hardcore, indie rock, and even a little bit of "alternative" music, and strangely produced by David Fridmann, Number Girl create a complex, noisey, distorted rock album. For fans of just amazing songwriting. Fast and full of strange hooks fused with amazing riffs. Strangely minimal guitar at times creates a weird counterpoint to some of the Jesus Lizard-ish basslines and Husker Du-ish guitar pummeling with one of the top 10 best drummers I've ever heard and distinctive singing/shouting that sometimes goes with the music and oftentimes goes completely against it -- beautifully. There's not much I can say except that they've been overlooked in America for far too long (despite touring here, being on compilations here, and being without a doubt the most popular j-indie band of all time -- unfortunately, most of the Japanese bands that get popular over here need some kind of image and this band doesn't have one)... and I haven't been able to get enough of their music for the past 5 years. The songwriting is just so topnotch. Great band, easily one of my most listened to ever and... actually, one of the few perfect bands. They'd splinter off into some other awesome bands (Toddle, Zazen Boys, Sloth Love Chunks, Vola and the Oriental Machine) but nothing will ever top Number Girl and, specifically, this album.

I'M A BRUTAL MAN!

Uh, where's the usual link??