Thread: Its official.
View Single Post
Old 08.29.2008, 10:20 AM   #128
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by diskaholic-anonymous
“The last four or five records we did were just so compromised by that [major label] situation. But that’s the way it goes.”...it sounds like a relief, and i think it's time to change to, cause the musical direction in the last four albuns sounds more pop than experimental. i prefer the experimental side of S.Y

They've been going in a pop direction ever since they released Evol. I don't think he means they were compromised musically anyways. He includes NYC Ghosts and Flowers and maybe A Thousand Leaves on that list. If Geffen was really getting all over them on their sound, I doubt those records would have been released as is.

I think he means more on the end of Geffen perhaps not promoting enough or not printing enough copies or getting them to enough stores or something, because Geffen sort of saw Sonic Youth as their token indie/artsy band or perhaps their "lost cause." Or perhaps they were on a schedule and felt rushed on those records.

Regardless, I can't see anything but good coming out of them being back on an independent label.

For everyone wanting them to "return to their roots" I say fuck no. I was just thinking the other day about how glad I am that SY has always been a progressive band and has never done a "return to their roots" album. Unlike Beck who does that every other fucking album.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|