View Single Post
Old 08.16.2018, 01:11 PM   #5193
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I agree but I'm generally not a fan of that whole pomo '[de]construction of the self', 'language is a virus' strain of identity politics that she obviously helped establish/define.
Oh yeah i agree on the language bit. I'm generally a Chomskian. Sapir-Whorf is an unscientific delusion perpetuated by interested parties.

The social construction of the self on the other hand interests me very much. I don't think that we can pinpoint to an essential self that is not constructed, and even if there was one, that self would always be in conflict with various societal pressures attempting to induce conformities through rewards and punishments.

This is of course where rebellion comes in, whether it's the child's rebellion against parental authority (or growing up at all), adult rebellion against the social, political and economic order (or against forces trying to change it, because the self is attached to it), and ultimately everyone’s rebellion against old age, illness, suffering, and death.

So on that end I sympathize/empathize/identify a lot with a character up in arms, and find the odissey thrilling.
__

Fuck it's very hard to type on a tiny phone
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|