Thread: Scientology
View Single Post
Old 04.05.2006, 10:16 PM   #21
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabib
exactly. the people aren't the problem. orthodoxy that doesn't put the individual first is the problem.

for example, straight-edge and veganism are completely orthodox systems to adhere to, but essentially, they're just stupid labels that people throw on being healthy. i could fit into either of those systems, but i don't make a big deal about it, cos i don't give a shit about the politics of either. i've just done enough research to know that animal proteins aren't good for me and i have very little interest in consuming poison. i make decisions that make me stronger as an individual.

it makes little sense to me to put my faith in myths and legends when i can put that energy into myself. religion, blind political groupthink, nationalism, corporate fraternity, fanatacism--orthodoxy that puts someone or something else higher than the individual, is a waste of my time.

I see what you are saying, and I agree for the most part. Blind individualism can lead to bad results too.

Loving yourself and thinking and acting for yourself is something, but there is something to be said for self-sacrifice in the interest of others as well. Giving up some time to help people around you over your own interests isn't bad. I don't think individualism is bad, but social consciousness is important too.

I don't think any major religion is anti individualist, the emphasis most often is on the individual, although that is often mistranslated by many denominations and practicioners.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|