View Single Post
Old 08.11.2006, 07:38 PM   #31
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
First of all, I love the album just like I love all the Sonic Youth albums.
That being said...
Strangely enough, Genetic & Hendrix Necro are probably better than any song on the album yet were not included on the original release.
I'd rather hear Kim sing Personality Crisis than David Johansen any day of the week. The same goes for Alice Cooper's Is It My Body?

Cantankerous, would you care to comment on just how a "filler album" has such great outtakes?

quick comments & impressions...

100% has cool lyrics & an edgy vocal delivery from Thurston, but the song is a bit grating really except for the outro.

Swimsuit Issue would be much better without the "mean-o" rhyming with "Encino". That's pretty lame.

Theresa's Sound-World hearkens back lyric-wise to Death Valley '69 & Shadow of a Doubt. When I first got diRty, it was a favorite, but not so much anymore.

Drunken Butterfly is much better as a live song than a studio track, but overall, it's too what I'll term "meathead crunchy" for me to laud much praise on it.

Shoot is a brilliant song from start to finish & has one of Sonic Youth's most memorable (if not the most memorable) basslines.

Sugar Kane is pretty damn dopey.

My Wish Fulfillment would be to swap this song for Genetic.

Hendrix Necro should have been on the album's original release instead of Orange Rolls, Angel's Spit.

Youth Against Fascism is indeed the bomb.

Personally, I've always liked the Nic Fit cover a lot.

The outro to On the Strip is virtually never discussed on this forum & it's pretty hot stuff.

Chapel Hill displays probably the most technical guitar work of any Sonic Youth song.

JC is so gorgeous it takes one's breath away.

Purr is a marvelously original love song.

Creme Brulee is a nice counterpoint & way to end the album. The song dynamics are pretty happening & the lyrical images are really good.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|