Thread: Nine Inch Nails
View Single Post
Old 07.26.2016, 10:26 PM   #51
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
I thought for sure this thread would have faded. esp. after I get to trolling and insulting which provides me with embarrassment and guilt which leads to fuel to leave this place for a while to do something productive and get things done.

as far as NINs go....the noise isn't loud enough mixed with overly dramatic opera that's aesthetically made for the 80's and fortunately dated by the time it reached the mainstream 90's for mass consumption.

NINs equals Depeche Mode to the Extreme. with naïve grunge kids as followers.

I think Pretty Hate Machine sounds dated, sure. But it's GLORIOUSLY dates, like Joy Division's Closer, or ... I don't know.. Disintegration. Jesus, even fucking Psychocandy. Yeah, it sounds '80s, but so do most of my favorite rock groups. The '80s were the decade for folks like us. "Us" referring to... well... fans of '80s underground, left-of-the-dial rock. Ain't nothing wrong with '80s music.

But I don't think Trent's '90s music sounds '80s. "Closer" is quintessential '90s, in fact. And the rest of that album sounds better and more alive than a fair amount of the disco-death rock from the disco-death revival era. Some of which I like quite a bit (LCD Soundsystem, Holy Fuck).

And I don't know man. Nothing after that really resembles '80s pop at all. But you're entitled to your opinion and all, of course.

Frankly I think NIN has found a niche with the meta-hipster crowd. A lot of indie groups from the last decade or so have name-checked NIN as an influence. There's shades of TDS in Deerhunter's Cryptograms. In My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. In a lot of shit.

Look at it this way... Trent could have aged like Marilyn Manson... dwindling so deeply into complete obscurity and "what the fuck were we thinking" status that a veritable comeback album with a very deliberate "adult rebranding" was necessary just for MM to save a little face.
Worse yet, he could have aged like Billy fucking Corgan, who really DID make lite noise slathered in Boston power chords, and is now perhaps one of the least respected men in the music world.

Instead, he pumped out more albums in the '00s than he did in the '80s and '90s combined. And then he started scoring films to almost unanimous acclaim. The NIN legacy is in much better shape than that of any of his peers (see Jane's Addiction, Soundgarden, Filter) ... Just sayin'
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|