View Single Post
Old 06.26.2008, 12:53 PM   #111
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
This is a good point - women in rock are often decoration, or at least masculine in their femininity. I know people hate le Tigre, but I really admire how they don't perpetuate instruments or 'musicality'. Same with Chicks on Speed, who make no apologies for liking fashion (and why not?).

A lot of electronic music is still a sausage-fest, mind you. Autechre patch-fetishes are nearly worse than a million-paged thread about effect pedals.

With a lot of electronic music I just happened to notice that women tend to come to the fore a lot more, and also they tend to be more.....women. That means that, say, Kelis can make a form of slightly edgier pop while still being able to look after the way she dresses and maybe occasionally have a hit, while still being listened to by certain guitar music dudes that don't feel challenged by that sort of mild female otherness in their musical experience.

I'm not saying anything new or revelatory here, but in a full-on rock music enviroment a woman would have more trouble expressing herself and being taken seriously unless, in a way, she doesn't get an attitude of some sort, and one that falls within the parameters of what's considered real and entertaining in rock music. Or else she becomes, like you pointed out already, an ornamental and mainly silent creature, put there to be impressed, shown off or possesed by her male lurers, often with a tamburine in her hand or an intense song to sing.

Again, I am generalising, not all rock chicks experience that.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|